Shabuddies! Bogrim, Machon & Nivonim
Late on Shabbat afternoon, after Seuda Shlishit and before Havdala, as the sun is setting, a few hundred chanichim (campers) in Bogrim, Machon and Nivonim participated in Shabuddies. The madrichim (counselors) split the 3 edot into pairs of two, generally pairing up chanichim who did not know each other well (yet). Each “couple” was given a sheet of icebreaker questions. All the chanichim headed up to the dirt path that encircles Tzad Bet (B-side), and began their multiple circumambulations while taking turns asking and answering the various questions. It was a mesmerizing scene of camaraderie, relationship-building, and strengthened friendships. What a perfect activity in the twilight of Shabbat!
Some sample questions:
- If you wrote a book, what would you name the main character and where would he go?
- What is your favorite thing to do?
- If you could design a t-shirt, what would you draw or write on it?
- What was your favorite part of your day/school/activity…?
- What is your favorite memory about being ___ years old?
- If the story of YOU became a movie, how would the movie end?
- Do you have any jokes to tell me?
- What’s the funniest thing you saw today/this week?
- How would you describe a perfect day for you?
- If we had an airplane to take us on vacation right now, where would you want to go?
- If we could go to (insert name of favorite place) but couldn’t use a car to get there, how do you think we could get there?
- If you could have any animal in the world as a pet, where would you go to get it and what would it be?
- If you could change anything in the world, what would you change and how?
- Who is your favorite tv/book/story character and what do you like about him/her?
- If you could eat lunch with (insert favorite character’s name) where would you go and what would you eat together?
- If you could wake up tomorrow with a superpower, what superpower would you want to have?
- If you could have any 3 wishes granted, what would they be?
- If all your clothes could only be one color, what color would you choose?
- If you could change the lunch menu at (school/home) what would you change?
- What is your biggest dream?
- If you could change your name, would you want to and what name would you choose instead?
- What are you proudest of in your life?
- Where is your favorite place to be?