Tikvah Family Shabbaton
Experience an accepting, supportive, fun-filled Shabbat retreat designed for parents, siblings, and children with disabilities.
“Before the Shabbaton, I’d never really visualized what it would be like if, instead of trying to mold our family to fit a mainstream environment, the environment was molded to us. At Ramah, I didn’t need to be my son’s personal interpreter, referee or advocate because the culture supported him. He could participate fully without me. And while my son was off with his peers, I was able to enjoy the adult programming without feeling anxious. For one weekend, my family learned what it felt like to be, not merely accommodated, but truly accepted and nurtured by a community.”
When: April 27-29th, 2018
Where: Camp Ramah in New England, in Palmer, MA
Who: Families with children with disabilities (no previous Ramah affiliation required)
What is unique about this Shabbaton?
- Parents will have the opportunity to relax, celebrate Shabbat, and meet other families with similar experiences and exchange ideas and resources.
- Siblings will participate in group activities together, developing bonds in a safe and supportive environment.
- Children with disabilities will enjoy a variety of activities and opportunities for socialization with experienced Ramah staff.
The Tikvah Family Shabbaton will feature:
- A Ramah style Shabbat, including ruach-filled t’fillot (prayers) and festive Shabbat meals
- Innovative Jewish learning
- Numerous camp activities (sports, singing, dancing, art)
- Special family activities and programs
- High staff to participant ratio
- Day time and evening supervision for all children
Articles written about the Tikvah Family Shabbaton:
- How My Son Finally Opened Up About His Little Brother With Special Needs by Leah Sugarman
- Sitting Alone in the Hallway by Alison Lobron
- A Safe Place by Benay Josselson
- Not Merely Accommodated, But Accepted and Nurtured by Tali Cohen
- Reflections of the Tikvah Family Shabbaton by Emma Gelb
“The Tikvah Family Shabbaton was a wonderful opportunity to spend a weekend with other Jewish families with children with special needs. It was a weekend where we didn’t have to explain or apologize for our children’s behaviors, where a community was built very quickly and we were disappointed to leave, and where the staff thought about everything and really did an extraordinary job planning for everyone’s needs.”
$135 for each adult, $85 for each child
*Please note: The cost of the weekend is highly subsidized, with assistance from Reshet Ramah, to ensure accessibility for all families. If you feel that you can contribute more to help other families participate, we welcome you to do so. A limited number of scholarships are also available.
Rates for the weekend include private, heated cabin accommodations, kosher meals, snacks, childcare, and all activities. Families have a choice of housing options ranging from heated private cabins (at no additional cost) to upgraded accommodations in the Guest House or Mirpa’ah (Infirmary). Upgraded housing is reserved on a first-come-first serve basis for an additional fee.
Questions? Contact Bonnie Schwartz, Tikvah Program Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 781-400-0204.